- Top Seeds: Karolina Pliskova, Sofia Kenin, Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka
- 2019 champion – Bianca Andreescu
- Brits: Johanna Konta, Heather Watson
- CLICK our featured players for stats from TennisAbstract
NEW YORK, USA – The US Open draw has been revealed – could this be Serena Williams’ year to finally equal Margaret Court’s Slam title record?
|Buy the latest gear from the top players from the Pro:Direct Tennis Shop and check out their range of Players’ kits.
Click to buy via Britwatch Sports
This year has not quite panned out since Pliskova opened the season with the Brisbane final. She had early exits up to the suspension of the tour, and while she played well in the domestic restart tournament in the Czech Republic, she was bundled out in the opening round of the Western and Southern Open, but could make another bid for a Slam final.
Pliskova’s Path to the Final (Ranking/Seeding)
- R1: Anhelina Kalinina | First Meeting
- R2: Caroline Garcia | H2H tied at 3-3
- R3: Jennifer Brady  | H2H: Pliskova leads 1-0
- R4: Alison Riske  | H2H: Pliskova leads 8-1 (incl. ITF)
- QF: Petra Martic  | H2H: Martic leads 4-2 (incl. ITF)
- SF: Naomi Osaka  | H2H: Pliskova leads 3-2
- F: Sofia Kenin  | H2H: Pliskova leads 4-0
 Sofia Kenin
At the start of the year, Kenin announced herself emphatically with her maiden Slam at the Australian Open, and she backed it up with the Lyon title after a bit of a wobble in the Middle Eastern tournaments.
However, a lockdown-easing stint on World Team Tennis with plenty of wins did not stand her in good stead on her tour return with a first round exit at the Western & Southern Open. Coming in a little undercooked could be a challenge.
Kenin’s Path to the Final (Ranking/Seeding)
- R1: Yanina Wickmayer | H2H: Wickmayer leads 1-0
- R2: Leylah Fernandez | First Meeting
- R3: Ons Jabeur  | H2H: Kenin leads 4-1 (incl. ITF)
- R4: Elise Mertens  | H2H: Kenin leads 2-0
- QF: Aryna Sabalenka  | H2H: Sabalenka leads 2-0
- SF: Serena Williams  | H2H: Kenin leads 1-0
- F: Karolina Pliskova  | H2H: Pliskova leads 4-0
 Serena Williams
Could this be 24? While Williams started the year well with the Auckland title, it has been tough for her to get that much needed momentum. She was match-points up against Maria Sakkari in the Western & Southern Open.
Room for improvement – definitely, but can she play herself into form as the Serena of old? It could be a tough haul from the third round onwards.
Williams’ Path to the Final (Ranking/Seeding)
- R1: Kristie Ahn | First Meeting
- R2: Monica Puig | First Meeting
- R3: Sloane Stephens  | H2H: Williams leads 5-1
- R4: Maria Sakkari  | H2H: Sakkari leads 1-0 (excl. Hopman Cup)
- QF: Madison Keys  | H2H: Williams leads 3-0
- SF: Sofia Kenin  | H2H: Kenin leads 1-0
- F: Karolina Pliskova  | Williams leads 2-1 (excl. IPTL)
 Naomi Osaka
Osaka’s comeback had looked to be a battle of wills – from trying to maintain positivity having taken a wildcard into the Western & Southern Open for her first tournament until lockdown, but events overtook everyone. Osaka used her platform most effectively to bring the two tennis tours to a position of taking a stance against racial inequality and social injustice.
She will play her semi-final having announced her intention to withdraw and having the tours and USTA suspend the tournament for a day in support of her stance. In terms of her draw, she has a pretty decent chance to make a run for a second US Open title.
Osaka’s Path to the Final (Ranking/Seeding)
- R1: Misaki Doi | H2H: Osaka leads 1-0
- R2: Alison Van Uytvanck | H2H: Van Uytvanck leads 1-0
- R3: Anastasija Sevastova  | H2H: Osaka leads 3-2
- R4: Anett Kontaveit  | H2H: Osaka leads 4-0 (incl. ITF)
- QF: Petra Kvitova  | H2H: Osaka leads 2-0
- SF: Karolina Pliskova  | H2H: Pliskova leads 3-2
- F: Sofia Kenin  | H2H tied at 2-2 (incl. ITF)
The US Open takes place between 31 August to 13 September.
How to Watch/Follow the US Open 2020
|Live Stream||Amazon Prime Video <– Sign up for trial|
|Live Scores||Live Scores on USOPen.org|
|Shop at Connected Clubs for a vast range in tennis equipment and training aids to help improve your tennis.
Click to buy via Britwatch Sports
|Follow Britwatch - Sport in General, Brits in Particular!|
|Subscribe to Britwatch Sports|
|We may receive compensation for products purchased via affiliate links on this website|