By Ros Satar
- Top Seeds: Naomi Osaka, Ashleigh Barty, Karolina Pliskova, Simona Halep
- Defending champion – Naomi Osaka
- Brits: Johanna Konta (Qualifying: Heather Watson, Naiktha Bains, Harriet Dart)
- CLICK our featured players for stats from TennisAbstract
NEW YORK, USA – After struggling during the European swing, Naomi Osaka wrestles back the World No. 1 spot, top seeding, and will embark on her first Slam title defence.
-Latest player gear | Pro:Direct Tennis Shop-
Buy the latest gear from the top players from the Pro:Direct Tennis Shop and check out their 80% off sale on selected tennis equipment now on
|CLICK TO BUY FROM PRO DIRECT TENNIS via Britwatch Sports|
 Naomi Osaka
This is not the easiest draw for a defending champion already struggling with injury having regained a little of her confidence after what felt like a tough European swing. If she can overcome losing head to heads to get through to the quarter-final then she faces the two Slam finalists who followed her victory Down Under, and neither are going to be easy to get past.
Osaka’s Path to the Final (Ranking/Seeding)
- R1: Anna Blinkova | First Meeting
- R2: Magda Linette | H2H tied at 1-1
- R3: Carla Suárez Navarro  | Suárez Navarro leads H2H 2-0
- R4: Belinda Bencic  | Bencic leads H2H 2-1
- QF: Kiki Bertens  | H2H tied at 1-1
- SF: Simona Halep  | Halep leads H2H 4-1
- F: Ashleigh Barty  | Barty leads H2H 2-1
 Ashleigh Barty
After a false start in Toronto, it was a better lead in to the US Open at Cincinnati for the laid-back Aussie who just takes everything in her stride. Her perspective since walking away from the sport and then coming back has made her pragmatic, and thus a danger.
She could hit a bump in the road should she face Serena Williams, but the 23-time Grand Slam champion has problems of her own, having drawn Maria Sharapova in the opening round! There are a couple of banana skins in this run up, but she has a decent chance of a deep run.
Barty’s Path to the Final (Ranking/Seeding)
- R1: Zarina Diyas | Barty leads H2H 1-0
- R2: Lauren Davis | Barty leads H2H 1-0
- R3: Maria Sakkari  | Barty leads H2H 3-1
- R4: Angelique Kerber  | H2H tied at 2-2
- QF: Serena Williams  | Williams leads H2H 2-0
- SF: Karolina Pliskova  | Barty leads H2H 3-2
- F: Naomi Osaka  | Barty leads H2H 2-1 | Barty leads H2H 2-1
-Viagogo Tennis Tickets-
Search Viagogo for tennis tickets for upcoming tournaments
|CLICK TO BUY TENNIS TICKETS FROM VIAGOGO via Britwatch Sports|
Could this be the year that Pliskova stops flying under the radar and makes another run to a Slam final, if not taking the next step? Certainly, with former Slam champion Conchita Martinez in her corner, she stands a good chance, and on paper, she should certainly be looking to get deep into the second week.
Pliskova’s Path to the Final (Ranking/Seeding)
- R1: Qualifier
- R2: Bernarda Pera | First meeting
- R3: Caroline Garcia  | H2H tied 3-3
- R4: Johanna Konta  | Pliskova leads H2H 6-1
- QF: Elina Svitolina  | Pliskova leads H2H 5-3
- SF: Ashleigh Barty  | Barty leads H2H 3-2
- F: Naomi Osaka  | H2H tied at 2-2
 Simona Halep
Could Halep make it two Slams back to back? She has a solid looking draw, and after getting a win in Cincy after retiring in Toronto with an Achilles tendon issue, she put in the hard yards with two three setters in Cincinnati.
If she is in full flow when the US Open starts she has to be counted as one of the contenders, as she searches for a first Slam title on hard courts.
Halep’s Path to the Final (Ranking/Seeding)
- R1: Qualifier
- R2: Kateryna Kozlova | Halep leads H2H 1-0
- R3: Barbora Strycova  | Halep leads H2H 5-1
- R4: Bianca Andreescu  | First meeting
- QF: Petra Kvitova  | Halep leads H2H 3-1
- SF: Naomi Osaka  | Halep leads H2H 4-1
- F: Ashleigh Barty  | Halep leads H2H 3-1
How to Watch/Follow the US Open 2019
|Live Stream||Amazon Prime Video <– Sign up for trial|
|Live Scores||Tennis Live Scores on Britwatch Sports|
The US Open takes place between 26 August to 8 September.
Shop at Connected Clubs for a vast range in tennis equipment and training aids to help improve your tennis.
|CLICK TO BUY TENNIS EQUIPMENT FROM CONNECTED CLUBS via Britwatch Sports|
|Follow Britwatch - Sport in General, Brits in Particular!|
|Subscribe to Britwatch Sports|