By Ros Satar, in Melbourne
- The prize purse for this year’s Australian Open gets another hike
- What will our Brits stand to earn over the next two weeks?
- We break down their paths to the final and the top prize
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – The first Grand Slam of the year is about to start, with another prize money lift since last year – what does that mean for the Brits in the draw?
|Buy the latest gear from the top players from the Pro:Direct Tennis Shop and check out their range of Players’ kits.
Click to buy via Britwatch Sports
While we have no Andy Murray this year as he recovers from hip surgery, but with Johanna Konta having started well this season, and Heather Watson putting on a turn of speed in Hobart, we could still have Brits into the second week.
How much could the Brits earn at the Australian Open 2018
|PLACE||PRIZE MONEY AUD$ (£)|
|Round 4||$240k (£138.5k)|
|Round 3||$142.5k (£82k)|
|Round 2||$90k (£52k)|
|Round 1||$60k (£34.6k)|
As we have seen throughout recent years, as the Slams roll around the different tournaments step up the bar with the others beginning to follow suit.
Total Grand Slam Prize Purses for 2017/18 (Current Currency Conversion)
|Australian Open (2018)||Roland Garros (2017)||Wimbledon (2017)||US Open (2017)|
What does this mean for the Brits – Their Paths to Pay-day
This year’s draw is tough for all concerned in the main draw as we break down the most optimistic path to the final for Konta, Edmund and Watson, who all are in the main draw as a result of their rankings.
Opponents assumed via their ranking.
Johanna Konta Path to the Final (Head to Head)
- R1: Madison Brengle (Brengle leads 3-1)
- R2: Margarita Gasparyan (First meeting)
- R3: Barbora Strcova  (Strycova leads 1-0)
- R4: Karolina Pliskova  (Pliskova leads 5-1)
- QF: Simona Halep  (Halep leads 5-3)
- SF: Garbiñe Muguruza (Konta leads 2-1)
- F: Caroline Wozniacki (Konta leads 2-0)
Kyle Edmund Path to Final
- R1: Kevin Anderson  (Anderson leads 1-0)
- R2: Denis Istomin (First meeting)
- R3: Lucas Pouille  (Puille leads 2-1)
- R4: Jack Sock  (Tied at 1-1)
- QF: Grigor Dimitrov  (Dimitrov leads 2-0)
- SF: Rafael Nadal  (Nadal leads 1-0)
- F: Roger Federer  (First Meeting)
Heather Watson Path to Final
- R1: Yulia Putintseva (Tied at 1-1)
- R2: Kristina Mladenovic  (Mladenovic leads 4-2)
- R3: Madison keys  (Keys leads 2-0)
- R4: Caroline Garcia  (Watson leads 3-0)
- QF: Garbiñe Muguruza (First meeting)
- SF: Simona Halep  (Halep leads 5-0)
- F: Caroline Wozniacki  (Wozniacki leads 2-1)
The Australian Open takes place between 15 and 28 January.
|CLICK TO BUY TENNIS TICKETS FROM VIAGOGO via Britwatch Sports|
|Follow Britwatch - Sport in General, Brits in Particular!|
|Subscribe to Britwatch Sports|
|We may receive compensation for products purchased via affiliate links on this website|