By Ros Satar, in Melbourne
- Day Eight Singles Results
- Day Nine Full Order of Play
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – Full main draw singles results from the Australian Open 2017
Australian Open Day Eight Results & Quick Hits
- Johanna Konta is the last Brit standing, and she shut the door on Ekaterina Makarova effectively in a repeat of their fourth round clash last year. She raced through the opening set, before coming from behind to win five games on the bounce to set up a quarter-final clash with Serena Williams.
- Williams battled though a topsy-turvy opening set against Barbora Strycova before finally coming through, again in straight sets. Neither woman has dropped a set yet, and this quarter-final looks set to be a corker – FULL PREVIEW
- Rafael Nadal dropped just one set against Gael Monfils as he eyes up another tilt at the Australian Open crown, and Milos Raonic overcame Roberto Bautista Agut to keep his dreams of a Slam title alive,
- Grigor Dimitrov ended the dream run of Denis Istomin. The Uzbekistan wildcard had up-ended Novak Djokovic in the second round, backing up his win with a five-setter against Pablo Carreno Busta but it looked as though those 10 sets of tennis had taken it out of him.
- David Goffin was the other ATP winner of the day beating Dominic Thiem in four sets.
- The story of the day was Mirjana Lucic-Baroni – a prodigy in her early years before personal issue sin her life saw her escaping a bullying father to head to the US with the rest of her family. There were other challenges too but all those faded into insignificance as she reached a Slam quarter-final for the first time since Wimbledon 1999.
|Australian Open||ATP||23 Jan|
|D Goffin  (BEL)||57 76(4) 62 62||D Thiem  (AUT)|
|G Dimitrov  (BUL)||26 76(2) 62 61||D Istomin [WC] (UZB)|
|M Raonic  (CAN)||76(6) 36 64 61||R Bautista Agut  (ESP)|
|R Nadal  (ESP)||63 63 46 64||G Monfils  (FRA)|
|Australian Open||WTA||23 Jan|
|S Williams  (USA)||75 64||B Strycova  (CZE)|
|J Konta  (GBR)||61 64||E Makarova  (RUS)|
|M Lucic-Baroni (CRO)||64 62||J Brady [Q] (USA)|
|Ka Pliskova  (CZE)||63 63||D Gavrilova  (AUS)|
Day Nine – Schedule & Highlights
- Coco Vandeweghe, who stunned World No. 1 and defending champion Angelique Kerber with her power-play takes on another big hitter in Garbiñe Muguruza – as she bids to take another 2016 Grand Slam champion down. She leads their head-to-head 2-1. She could be set to reach a new career high and break the Top 25.
- Muguruza is enjoying her best run at the Australian open as she reached the quarter-finals for the first time, and has a 2-2 record in Grand Slam quarter-finals.
- Venus Williams is going for her 50th Australian Open main draw win today but it will be tough – she has lost three of the last four meetings against Russians and she enjoys a 3-2 advantage over Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
- Stan Wawrinka and Jo-Wilfriend Tsonga meet across the net in a Grand Slam for the fourth time, but this is their first away from Roland Garros.
- Meanwhile could Mischa Zverev pull off the unthinkable and sink Roger Federer’s comeback with the same old-fashioned serve and volley game that put Andy Murray off his stride?
- WTA QUARTER-FINAL PREVIEWS
- ATP QUARTER-FINAL PREVIEWS
|Follow Britwatch - Sport in General, Brits in Particular!|
|Subscribe to Britwatch Sports|