By Ros Satar

  • Rafael Nadal pulls out of Queen’s because of a wrist injury
  • Pulled out of Roland Garros with the same injury
  • Surely puts his participation at Wimbledon in doubt

LONDON, UK – Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the Aegon Championships later this month, as he continues to recover from the wrist injury that halted his Roland Garros campaign.

Purchase Tickets for the Aegon Championships here

Nadal shocked fans and pundits when he announced on Friday that he was pulling out of Roland Garros, as he was bidding for a record 10th title. The Spaniard had issues with his wrist in Madrid, two tournaments previously, and had been warned that the injury would significantly worsen if he continued to play.

In a statement today, Nadal said: “I am very sad that my wrist injury means that I cannot play at The Queen’s Club this year. It is a tournament and a club that I love, I enjoy playing in front of the British people, and I was looking forward to trying to win the title for a second time. I wish everyone at the tournament a great week, and I look forward to returning in future years.”

Queen’s Club has long been seen as the perfect preparation for players ahead of Wimbledon, and Nadal won the title in 2008, as part of an historic Roland Garros, Queen’s and Wimbledon treble.

Stephen Farrow, Tournament Director of the Aegon Championships, added: “It is a great shame for Rafa and everyone that loves watching him play that he has sustained this injury, and we wish him a speedy recovery. He was in great form, and we know how much he was looking forward to playing on grass at the Aegon Championships, but his health must come first. We look forward to welcoming him back in the years to come.”

Tara McGregor-Woodhams, Head of Brand and Sponsorship, Aegon UK said: “We are sorry to hear that Rafa has been injured, hope that he gets well soon and look forward to seeing him in future years. The Aegon Championships player field remains exceptionally strong and we are all looking forward to the start of the tournament.”

Queen’s club this year still boasts current World No. 2 Andy Murray will look to win a record fifth title as he heads up this year’s field. He is joined by the 2015 Roland Garros champion Stan Wawrinka, with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Milos Raonic and Richard Gasquet also confirmed for this year’s tournament. They are joined by former champions Marin Cilic and Grigor Dimitrov.

Murray has also been awarded a wildcard for the doubles where he will be partnered by Colin Fleming. Fans can also look forward to seeing the other Grand Slam winning Murray as Jamie Mu and partner Bruno Soares are also in the field, with Kyle Edmund and Thanasi Kokkinakis also awarded a wildcard.

The Aegon Championships at Queen’s Club takes place between 13-19 June.

Purchase Tickets for the Aegon Championships here

No Replies to "Nadal out of Queen’s, Wimbledon doubtful?"


    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK