By Ros Satar
- Andy Murray takes on Kyle Edmund in the new Tie Break Tens as the format debuts at the Champions Tennis
- Group 1: John McEnroe, Tim Henman and Champions Tennis play-off qualifier
- Group 2: Andy Murray, Kyle Edmund, David Ferrer
LONDON, UK – The full line-up for the inaugural Tie Break Tens has been announced at the Champions Tennis at the Royal Albert Hall.
The Davis Cup stars Andy Murray and Kyle Edmund will have a showdown, as well as taking on World No. 7 David Ferrer in the first of two groups. The second group is made up of Tim Henman, John McEnroe and the qualifier from the Champions Tennis field – the play off will be between Younes El Aynaoui and Xavier Malisse.
Murray and Edmund are not the only Davis Cup heroes to have been on display this week at the Royal Albert Hall. Earlier in the week Jamie Murray came out for the doubles to rapturous applause, and James Ward will be the alternate for Saturday evening.
But if there is one ‘old-timer’ that is ready for the challenge, it is McEnroe, who won his exhibition match against Mats Wilander.
“Part of these guys is thinking ‘give me a piece of McEnroe, he’s going to be half the speed’,” said McEnroe. “The other part is thinking ‘how embarrassing would it be to lose to Mac at 56?!’ So I have that going for me. When you’re playing an entire match in 10 minutes you have the proverbial puncher’s chance. So Andy, I may be a bit older than you, but I hope you’re ready, because I will be!”
The matches will take place on Saturday in the 6pm session and the order is as follows:
- Tim Henman vs. John McEnroe
- Kyle Edmund vs. Andy Murray
- Tim Henman vs. Qualifier
- David Ferrer vs. Andy Murray
- John McEnroe vs. Qualifier
- Kyle Edmund vs. David Ferrer
- Semi-final 1 (Winner of Group 1 vs. Runner-up Group 2)
- Semi-final 2 (Winner of Group 2 vs. Runner-up Group 1)
- 3rd/4th Place Play-off
The event will be covered on Sky Sports 2 1pm – 4pm GMT (Champions Tennis and Tie Break Tens Qualifiers) and on Sky Sports 3 6pm – 9:15pm GMT (Tie Break Tens), and further coverage is listed via http://www.tiebreaktens.com/live-coverage/
Follow @tiebreaktens on Twitter for latest updates.
Champions Tennis runs from 2-6 December at the Royal Albert Hall – For tickets visit http://www.royalalberthall.com/tennis or call 020 7070 4404.
Main Image: Jean Catuffe/Getty
FOLLOW BRITWATCH – SPORTS IN GENERAL, BRITS IN PARTICULAR!