By Ros Satar

  • John McEnroe joins Tie Break Tens line-up
  • Throws down the challenge to the younger members of the line-up
  • Ten matches of a first-to-ten point tie-break and winner takes $250,000.

LONDON, UK – John McEnroe joins former British No. 1 Tim Henman and World No. 2 Andy Murray to help launch the quick-fire Tie Break Tens at Champions Tennis in the Royal Albert Hall.

He will join Murray and fellow Davis Cup winning team-mate Kyle Edmund along with World No. 7 David Ferrer and Henman plus one qualifier from the Champions Tennis tournament.

Players will be in two groups of three with the top two from each group advancing to the semi-finals. All ten of the matches played on the night will be played over a first-to-ten point tie-break, with a winner rakes all prize of $250,000.

Never one to shine his light under a bushel, McEnroe said: “Tie Break Tens is going to be great. Tie-breaks have been around for nearly as long as I’ve been playing, everyone enjoys watching them, and I enjoy playing them, as long as I win! It’s always a challenge to beat guys so much younger than me, but I’m practising hard and in a race to ten points, maybe I can spring a surprise!”

Murray will need to be sharp to be ready for the seven-time Grand Slam Singles champion, who has been playing all week at the Champions Tennis Legends, beating Mats Wilander earlier this week.

The quick-fire format will take place un the evening session between 6:00 – 9:15pm on Saturday, and will be broadcast on Sky Sports in the UK.

Matthew Pryke, Tie Break Tens Tournament Director, said: “John McEnroe is a living legend, and one of the greatest tennis players of all time. We are thrilled that he has agreed to be part of the player field for our first event. I’ve seen from afar just how competitive he is, all the players talk about the great shape he is still in, and we believe the quick-fire format of Tie Break Tens will give everyone a chance. We are very much looking forward to seeing him in action.”

For more information, visit http://www.tiebreaktens.com.

Main Image Credit: David M. Benett/Getty

FOLLOW BRITWATCH – SPORTS IN GENERAL, BRITS IN PARTICULAR!

Facebook Twitter
Instagram Vine

 

No Replies to "McEnroe throws down Tie Break Ten Gauntlet"


    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK